Have you ever gone through a makeup meltdown? When the temperature rises, the struggle is real for most of us. It’s really frustrating when sweat causes your makeup to vanish or worse smear. How do you get makeup to stay on all day? We have rounded up the best tricks and tips to win the battle against heat.
Read on to find out the top 10 tips to sweat proof your makeup so you can go through your day worry free.
Top 10 Tips To Sweat-Proof Your Makeup:
- Prep Your Skin. Cleanse, tone and hydrate before you put on makeup even if you’re running short on time. Humid and hot weather makes your skin sweat a lot and produce more oil which can lead to breakouts. Also, makeup will adhere better if your skin is properly toned and moisturize.
Don’t Skip The Primer. After prepping your skin apply primer so you will have a layer of barrier which will help keep your makeup intact. Dab a little more on your T zone and eyelids. Opt to use powder formulas that help absorb moisture on the skin.
If you have oily skin, stay away from liquids or cream primer which tends to make your face shine all the more. We recommend, Shiseido Refining Makeup Primer SPF 21.
- Stick To Long Lasting Formulas. Opt to use long lasting waterproof makeup. This type of makeup won’t budge through sweat and water. It is best to apply long-wear makeup immediately after moisturizing your face – while it’s still dewy. The product will spread evenly and set to a long lasting finish.
- Apply Eyeshadow With A Damp Brush. Dampen your eyeshadow brush before dipping it into your eye makeup. This way, it will dry up to a glazed finish that tends to last longer compared to dry eye shadow.
- Blot The Shine Away. Never leave home without blotting papers in your kit. Always spot treat the areas that shine to prevent your makeup from running. Remember, when you perspire, blot instead of wipe. You can also touch up with a blot powder to absorb oil and rid of shine. We recommend ELF Mattifying Blotting Papers and NYX Blotting Powder.
Use Makeup Formulated With Breathable Film Formers. When the heat is on, makeup products with film-forming ingredients such as Siloxane polymers, polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), Nylon-12, Acrylates, Acrylamides and copolymers are your best bet.
These film-forming agents can strongly absorb water or moisture and leave the skin feeling smooth. If you have oily skin, it is important to check the ingredients of the makeup you wish to purchase.
We recommend, L’Oreal Infallible 24hr Matte Liquid Foundation (for Oily Skin), Smashbox Studio Skin 15 hour hydrating foundation (for Dry skin), Clarins Ever Matte balancing foundation SPF 15 (for Combination Skin), and Vichy Dermablend Fluid Corrective Foundation SPF 35.
Minimize Your Base. When the weather is too hot for comfort, it is best to wear less makeup. If you have good skin to begin with you can skip foundation and just apply concealer and dust setting powder and you’re good to go.
However if you prefer a little more coverage then use CC cream as base which is the best makeup for oily skin, acne prone or combination skin.
If you have dry skin it’s better to use tinted moisturizer or BB cream. Remember, the best way to prevent makeup meltdown is to wear as little as possible. Go with a lightweight base and you’ll be fine all day.
We recommend Estée Lauder Double Wear Light SPF10, Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20, Rosaliac Anti-Redness CC Cream and Maybelline Makeup Dream Fresh BB Cream SPF 30.
- Use a Facial Mist. Spray facial Mist/setting spray on your face to finish off your makeup routine. Reapply all day to keep off the sweat, cool you down and prevent smears. Try ELF Matte Magic Mist & Set or Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray.
- Wear Waterproof Mascara. Avoid the dreaded raccoon eyes by opting to use clear or waterproof makeup mascara. This way you can confidently walk around without having to check the mirror all the time to see if your mascara’s melting under the heat. Try out smudge resistant Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara, ELF Waterproof Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara or La Roche Posay Respectissime Waterproof Mascara
- Keep yourself well hydrated. Drink lots of water. This is the best way to cool your system so you won’t sweat profusely.
Conclusion – 8 Steps to a Sweat Proof Makeup
If you want to make sure that your makeup stays on, follow these 8 simple steps. It’s not just the makeup and how you apply it that will be the difference. The conditions on your skin must be ideal to prevent it from producing sweat and oil.
- Take Time To Cool Off. Whether you just finished working out or stepped out of the shower, take a few minutes to cool down before makeup. This way your makeup will set better and last longer. If you’re in a rush, splash your face with cold water before starting your makeup routine.
- Prep Your Skin. To achieve a flawless finish, you need to start with a fresh canvas. Wash your face, tone, moisturize using a lightweight water based moisturizer so your skin won’t feel oily and thick and lastly prime your skin.
- Apply Your Makeup Base And Concealer. Apply lightweight foundation, tinted moisturizer, BB cream or CC cream on your face using a beauty blender, foundation brush or your fingers. Make sure to blend for a smooth finish. Cover problem areas with concealer. Dab and blend well to avoid creases.
Work On Your Eyes And Brows. Apply eyeshadow using a damp brush. Best to stick to neutral colors as dark shadows Line your eyes with waterproof eyeliner so it won’t smear and smudge before you arrive at our destination. Next, apply waterproof mascara or don’t wear any for a more natural makeup look.
Use a spoolie to brush your brows up and back. Then fill in the gaps with a waxy eyebrow pencil. Blend with a brush then set the shape by applying a clear brow gel. To keep your brows intact during an intense workout or a stroll on a hot humid day, it is wise use waterproof brow makeup products.
Apply Blush. Remember the “two-finger rule” when applying powder and cream blush. Place your middle and index/pointer fingers on the side of your nose then begin your application against your index/pointer finger.
Use a round fluffy brush to apply blush on the apples of your cheeks then, blend upward in a circular motion. If you’re using a cream blush, it’s better to use your fingers and blend in small baby circles.
Quick note: For normal/combination skin cream or cream or powder blush works fine. Powder blush is the best makeup for oily skin. Liquid blush is perfect for dry skin.
Highlight. Use a brush or your fingers to apply highlighter on the highest part of your cheekbones, inner corners of your lids, brow bone and nose bridge.
Wearing highlighter during hot/humid days can leave you looking like tin man. Sweat and shine don’t go well together so you really have to choose the right kind of highlighter.
Choose one that suits your skin tone so you will get a more natural kind of glow. Avoid using the heavy metallic highlighters during daytime. If you have oily skin, skip the highlighter during daytime and save it for your night out instead.
- Color Your Lips. Exfoliate your lips by gently brushing them with toothbrush to remove dead skin. Apply a small amount of concealer on your lips especially on the outer corners. This will help your lipstick stay on longer. Line your lips with lightweight lip liner before you apply lipstick. For a more natural vibe, use lip gloss or lip tint instead.
- Finish with setting spray. Spray on a facial mist to make sure that your makeup stays sweat proof all day through. Choose makeup setting sprays that are formulated with ingredients that can keep the skin hydrated. These magic mists have cooling effect that will make you feel instantly refreshed.
If you’ve spent hours getting ready, the last thing you want is to step out in the great outdoors and show up at work like you’re auditioning for “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”.
Follow our simple tips on how to sweat-proof your makeup and never have to worry about warm weather and perspiration ever again.