Blush is truly a must have beauty essential. Your makeup will not look polished without a hint of color on your cheeks. You really need to invest time to find the best makeup blush for you. However, the selection process can be dizzying. It’s like figuring out the best fruit to pick from an orchard.
To simplify your blush hunt, we searched for the best makeup products that earned rave reviews from beauty editors, vloggers, bloggers and makeup artists. Shopping will be easier when you have a short list of must have blushes in your hands.
Table of Contents
Best for: Normal to oily skin
How to apply: Use a domed blush brush to swirl the powder blush onto the apples of the cheek. You can brush lightly towards the hairline, on your nose bridge and chin.
NARS Orgasm Blush. This has been around for years and the magic never fades. Adoring fans just can’t let go of this cult classic and we bet that you won’t be able to, once you’ve tried it. You will love how it perfectly mimics an after workout glow. Shades of peach, pink and gold shimmer are perfectly blended to match any type of skin tone.
Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic Swish & Pop Blusher. Illuminate your cheeks with this creamy textured powder blush which you can layer till you reach the glow level you desire. Pick one to match your skin tone from their collection of 6 shades of love.
Urban Decay Afterglow 8-hour Powder Blush. Surprisingly, this blush has a creamy soft texture that glides onto your skin. It will give you hot flushed cheeks that last through the day. It comes in many different shades, you’ll surely find one to match your skin tone.
Best for: Normal to dry skin
How to Apply. Press your ring finger into the cream then tap onto apples of your cheeks. Blend out and down toward your hairline. You can also use a firm blush brush and apply with light strokes. Cream blush is buildable so just reapply in light layers until you get the intensity you want.
Sisley Paris Phyto Blush Stick. Dewy flush can’t get any better with this cream to powder blush retractable stick. It leaves a subtle dose of color on the cheeks which is perfect for achieving a natural glow. This blush is buildable, long lasting, velvety and lightweight. It comes in four flattering shades.
Price: $ 68
Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Last Looks Cream Blush. Despite its gentle vegan ingredients, this blush delivers long-lasting luxurious color to the cheeks. It comes in four shades that are perfectly suited for 2018’s all natural makeup look. You will fall in love with its radiant finish and hydrating texture.
Stila Convertible Color. Truly a classic blush that blends so well to give the cheeks a youthful glow. It’s been around for a decade and remains to be a top beauty must have. The formula is ultra-sheer and buildable. No need for touch ups. It comes in 11 different shades.
Best for: All skin type
How to apply: Use a synthetic blush brush to gently tap gel on your cheeks and up to your hairline. Blend quickly with your fingertips and continue to layer if you want a deeper hue.
Per-fekt Cheek perfection Gel. This blush is formulated to adapt to any type of skin tone like a chameleon. It is light on the skin making it perfect for this year’s barely there makeup look. You just need a teeny-weeny bit of gel to get a long lasting natural looking flush. This comes in three wonderful shades.
Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee. Infused with coconut water this hydrating gel gives your cheeks an amazing sheer rosy glow. The kind you get after you just stepped out of hot shower. We love how it blends so easily even on dry and oily skin.
Elizabeth Arden Cool Glow Cheek Tint. This lightweight, water based gel can breathe color to your pale cheeks. It gives a light-from-within kind of glow, like a crush blush. It’s buildable and long lasting too.
Price: $ 26
Best for: Normal to Oily skin
How to apply: Dab lightly on your cheeks. Remember: A little goes a long way. It’s highly pigmented so take it easy on the wand. Blend quickly with your fingers so it will glide smoothly onto your skin before it dries up.
Benefit Posietint Cheek & Lip tint. This ultra-sheer stain leaves your cheeks with an adorable fresh faced flush. One coat and you will get a sheer poppy pink shade that you can build up if you prefer a more intense color.
Tarte Cheek Stain. This is one of the beauty items every girl needs. It leaves on a dewy finish flush that’s sheer and lovely to look at. There’s no need to reapply because it lasts throughout the day. Tarte Cheek Stain smells heavenly too – fruity scent. This comes in 8 fresh shades.
Price: $ 30
YSL Baby Doll Kiss & Blush. A truly must-have multitasker which gives the lips a luscious color and cheeks, a pretty matte flush. Users love its creamy texture which is so easy to blend. This comes in 12 tempting shades that will entice you to get more than 1.
How To Find The Best Blush to Match Your Skin Tone
2018 is all about natural looking blushed cheeks. You have to know what hues match your complexion so you won’t end up looking clownish. Here is a quick guide on finding best blush shade to match your skin tone.
- Fair skin tone – Subtle peach, light coral and whispering pink will naturally blend with your skin and bring out a nice, rosy glow.
- Medium skin tone – Rich pink, mauve and deep peach will make your cheeks alive.
- Dark skin tone – Deep red, tangerine, berry and warm brown will give you a sun kissed glow.
Our Best Tips On Applying Blush Based On The Shape Of Your Face
- Oval face – It’s best to apply blush just above your cheek bone and then using soft strokes blend it towards the ear and up towards the temple.
- Round face – Apply blush along your cheekbone and sweep towards the ear to make the face look slimmer. Avoid shimmery blushes because these will make your cheeks rounder. For your face shape, matte finish is the best blush for glowing skin.
- Heart Shaped face – Apply blush in ‘C’ shape from the apple of your cheek towards the end of your eyebrow. You can dab a little blush on the center of your forehead to balance your chin and your forehead.
- Square face – To soften the angular shape, simply apply blush onto the apple of your cheek then blend outwards.
- Diamond face – Apply blush on top of your cheekbone then blend outwards, towards your earlobe.
- Long/Oblong – Start applying on the apple of your cheek, blend towards the nose then sweep out towards the temple.
How To Determine The Shape Of Your Face
You must figure out your face shape so you could apply your blush correctly. Here’s how to do it. Don’t forget to note down the measurements.
Step 1: Determine the width of your face. Use a measuring tape or ruler to measure horizontally across your forehead, jawline and cheekbones at their widest points.
Step 2: Determine the length of your face. Place the ruler or tape on the center of your forehead (at your hairline) and measure to your chin.
6 Most Popular Facial Shapes
- Square – The width of your forehead, cheekbones and jaw are nearly all the same. Your jawline is angular.
- Round – Face length and cheekbones have similar measurements. They are greater than measurements of your forehead and jawline. The angle of your jaw is soft.
- Oval – Your forehead measurement is larger than your jawline while the length of your face is larger than the width of your cheekbones. Your jawline is rounded.
- Oblong – The measurements of your forehead, cheekbones and jawline are similar while your face length is the largest measurement.
- Heart – Your forehead measurement is greater than the cheekbones and jawline. The prominent features of your face are your pointed chin and widow’s peak at the hairline.
- Diamond – Face length is the largest measurement, followed by cheekbones, forehead and the smallest is jawline. You have a pointed chin.
Blush is a must- have in every girl’s cosmetic case. If you want to maximize its benefits, take the time to learn how to apply it on your face to achieve the look you want. It’s not the same for every person. You can buy the same blush as your friend, but it may not work for you as it did for her.