Lipstick is truly a woman’s best friend. It can magically transform your look and brighten up your face with one swipe. However, finding the right lip color is like looking for your soulmate….it just doesn’t happen overnight.
When you get to the mall you will be swamped with different and on top of that, there are different kinds of finishes to deal with. It can get a little confusing so we came up with a quick guide to help you shop with ease.
Before you go out on a shopping spree, read up on everything you need to know about lipstick finishes and a little more. This lip color guide will help you find the right lipstick for you.
Creamy. The perfect everyday lipstick. It moisturizes and nourishes the lips the moment you swipe it on because it contains more wax and oils. If your lips tend to dry easily, this finish is perfect for you.The only downside to creamy lip color is its high tendency to bleed and smudge. It is best to use a lip liner to prevent it from running past the borders.
Remember that creamy lipsticks tend to melt during the hotter time of the year, so store your lipsticks in the fridge so they will survive the heat.We Recommend:
Here is the cream of the crop and we are certain you will love them. Try out Dior Addict Lacquer Stick, Bobbi Brown Crushed Lip Color, Marc Jacobs Beauty Le Marc Lip Crème, Stila All Day Liquid Lipstick, NARS Lipstick and YSL Volupte Tint-In-Balm.
Matte.This type of lipstick finish leaves the lips vibrantly colored due to its high pigmentation. If you are after full, rich and bold color without the shine, matte is the way to go.It really has the magic to draw attention to your nice shaped lips. The intensity of pigmentation makes your lips more vibrant.
The formula can severely dehydrate your lips when you wear matte frequently, so protect them by applying moisturizing lip balms before you swipe on lipstick.We Recommend:
Looking for Lipstick that won’t budge? Try out Urban Decay Matte Revolution Lipstick, Colour Pop Ultra Matte Lip, She Uemura Supreme Matte, Bare Minerals Gen Nude Liquid Lipstick and MAKE Matte Lipstick.
Gloss. Not a fan of rich lip colors? You can be all glammed up with a dash of lip gloss which delivers medium coverage.It leaves the right amount of shine and color to your lips because it is not as deeply pigmented as creamy and matte lipsticks. You can wear it alone or as a finishing touch to your lip color. The shades usually range from clear to shimmery and glittery to metallic frost.We Recommend:
Lip Gloss is making a huge comeback in 2019, so it is time to update your makeup stash. Try out Glossier Clear Lip Gloss, MAC Grand Illusion Glossy Lip Color collection, Urban Decay Lip Junkie Lip Gloss, Marc Jacobs Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer Lip Gloss and Maybelline Vivid Hot Lacquer.
2019 Hot Lipstick Trends
It’s a little difficult to keep up with makeup trends these days because styles change as quickly as seasons do. To make sure that your look is not outdated, here are the lipstick trends that will dominate 2019.
- Glass Lips. Juicy and heavily glossed lips are dominated summer 2019 runways. To get this look, apply thick coats of clear, colored or shimmery gloss on your lips. Wear it alone for megawatt shine or layer it over your favorite lip color.
- Blurry Lips. Ditch the lip liner and go for dramatic, imperfect lips. To get this look, use a crease brush to gently sweep the center color out to the edges of your lips in back and forth motion. This way you will be able to buff out the line and create blurry effect. Finish it with a light sweep of lip oil or gloss. Go a little past the mouth line for a more dramatic effect.
- Cupid’s bow. Line your Cupid’s bow with shimmery metallic highlighter to make it the focal point of attention. Match it with vibrant hues for a beautiful contrast. You could also go for the classic makeup trick which is to apply a touch of highlighter on your Cupid’s bow.
- Red Lips. Hot lips give off a stark contrast to this season’s barely there makeup. Wear it with nude eye makeup, dash of blush, highlighters and light foundation or BB cream. If you are feeling a little lazy, just swipe on your killer red lipstick and you are ready to wow them all.
- Peach Lips. The Peach Lips Craze is not leaving anytime soon. This hue will bring out the best of your natural lip color. It goes well with dramatic or simple eye makeup. For a monochromatic effect, use a matching peach blush.
How To Pamper Your Lips
Dry and dark lips are unsightly. No amount of lip makeup can cover up lips that are craving for more love and attention. It would be difficult to pull off any of the lipstick trend if you do not have a smooth canvas. You need to keep your lips pretty, healthy and supple so follow these care tips.
- Exfoliate. Use mild exfoliators like Fresh Sugar Lip Polish on your lips to slough off dead and dry skin. You can also gently brush your lips with soft tooth brush after cleansing. You need to exfoliate two to three times a week to keep your lips feeling soft and smooth.
- Stay Hydrated. Keep your body well- hydrated because your lips will be the first to crack when you are running low in water. Make sure to drink more than 8 glasses a day during summer.
- Pack a Lip Balm. Avoid windburn and chapped lips during winter and summer. Lock in moisture by swiping a lip balm enriched with vitamins and SPF before you go out or wear lipstick.
- Eat a Healthy Diet. Make sure to eat the right kinds of food. Vitamin or mineral deficiencies will lead to dry, chapped lips. Do not skip your fruits and veggies!
- Avoid Smoking. Deep, coarse wrinkles form around the lips because of the constant puckering of the mouth whenever one puffs a cigarette. It can also cause your lips to turn black so stay away from those harmful sticks.
- Remove Makeup. No matter how tired or sleepy you are, never doze off with make up on. Gently remove lipstick with a damp cotton ball.
- Rejuvenate your Lips When you Sleep. At bedtime, massage your lips with petroleum jelly, lip night cream or olive oil. You need to hydrate your lips while at rest to keep them soft and supple.
- Use a Humidifier. Dry indoor air causes dry, chapped lips. Plug in a humidifier to make sure that your skin will be hydrated as you sleep.
Choosing the best lipstick finish does not have to be complicated. There are many brands and types in the market and that is perfectly fine!
It doesn’t matter if you buy an affordable lipstick from a drugstore or the so-called best high-end lipstick. In the end, your choice will depend on the look you want to achieve and the color that you want.
Whether it’s for the office, the gym, the supermarket, or a night out with your friends, our lip color guide will make it easier to create the right look for you!