Learning how to apply eye makeup is fun and exciting. You just need a lot of patience in order to learn the right techniques and get familiar with the makeup tools you need to get started.
We assure you that after reading this article you will discover that putting on eye makeup can be done in easy simple steps. Read on to find out how to make your eyes draw the attention it rightfully deserves.
Here is a step by step guide on how to apply simple but beautiful eye makeup
Multicolored palettes can cause confusion for makeup neophytes. A palette with four basic shades is perfect for beginners. It should have a light shade for the lid, mid-tone shade for crease, dark shade for contour, and pale shade for highlight.
It’s safe to begin your makeup journey with an eyeshadow palette of neutral colors like peach, mauve, or brown. Get your brushes ready too. You will need a flat eyeshadow brush, blending eyeshadow brush, and tapered brush.
- Before putting on eyeshadow apply primer on your entire lid (from lash line to the brow bone). Never skip this part so your eye makeup will blend smoothly and it won’t look patchy. You may use foundation or concealer if you do not have an eye primer. Just apply a thin layer on your lids and set it with dusting powder.
Find your crease by closing your eyes and pressing on it gently. The indented part that hugs the upper half of your eyeball is the crease. Next, apply the mid-tone shade on the crease from outer to the inner corner of your eye. Do this with your eye open.
Using a windshield wiper like motion, blend in and out following the natural contour of your eye. Do not apply too much at once, just continue to layer until you get the intensity you prefer.
- Using a small flat brush, gently tap the light shade on your lids—from upper lash line to the crease and outer to inner corner of your eyes. Then blend to remove harsh crease lines.
- Using a tapered brush, apply highlighter right below the eyebrow arch to the end of the brow then blend. Next, add highlight on the innermost corner of your eye.
- Apply the contour shade on outer corner of the eye. Blend up to the crease. Mix mid-tone and contour shadows and lightly sweep it underneath your eyes with a flat brush from the outer to inner corner where it meets the highlighter.
- After putting on your eye shadow, curl your lashes. Then, apply mascara on your lashes from the roots to tips. Use a card, spoon or mascara shield to prevent it from smudging your face.
Once you’ve mastered the basic strokes for applying eye makeup, the possibilities are endless. Soon you will learn how to line your eyes and shape your brows flawlessly.
Practice makes perfect, so do not get frazzled if you don’t get it right at first. In time, you will be able to master the art of perfect eye makeup.
Just keep on reading makeup guides or watching makeup tutorials online. When you get the hang of it, do not be afraid to experiment and try doing different eye makeup looks. You can tweak and level up your techniques in order to blend with the trend.
Best Eye Shadow Palettes for Beginners
When buying makeup for the first time, remember to step on the brakes no matter how tempting the eyeshadow selection is. If you are at a beginner level, you do not need eyeshadow palettes with multiple variations or shades to apply eye makeup.
It is best to start out with neutral palettes in 6-12 shades with a variety of matte and shimmers. Gradually add more colors and textures to your collection as your skills progress.
Here is a list of must have eyeshadow palettes for beginners.
Stila Matte ’n Metal eyeshadow palette. You can experiment with beautiful combinations of the 6 matte and 6 shimmer shades. Each shade builds up intensity as you layer so there’s no danger of overdoing it. It glides on smoothly so you can say good bye to harsh lines.
Tarte Tartelette Tease. This bestselling clay infused eyeshadow palette is heaven sent to makeup newbies. There are 6 flirty shades (4 matte, 2 lusters) to mix and match.
When you feel more confident with your makeup skills, we highly recommend that you can add their clay palettes with 12 shades— Amazonian and In Bloom.
Urban Decay Naked Ultimate Basics Palette. Users loved how smoothly this eyeshadow glides on the skin. All of the 12 neutral shades are so easy to blend and stays on long. Pigments are not too intense nor too light so it’s great for building up your blending skills.
Kat Von D Shade Light Eye Contour Palette. You won’t have a difficult time figuring out which shades go well together because this palette comes with three color quads of neutral, cool and warm shades. It also includes easy to follow step-by-step instructions for creating different eye makeup looks.
Price: $ 48
Too Faced Natural Eyes Neutral Eyeshadow Collection. This is a set of nine creamy matte, shimmery and pearl shadows which comes in pretty neutral shades. The coco-butter infused powder is silky-smooth which will allow you to apply and blend easily. If you are not fond of sparkles, get the new Too Faced Natural Matte instead.
L’Oreal Paradise Enchanted Eyeshadow Palette. L’Oreal launched this product only last month and it has gone viral. Users who had a hard time getting their hands on it love how perfect the shades are for this season. This fruity scented palette comes with 12 warm shades in matte and shimmers that go well with any skin tone so you can blend as you please.
Maybelline Gigi Hadid Eye Contour Palette. This is a palette contains 4 warm matte shades for lid, crease, contour and highlight. It is a great eye makeup starter kit because it’s easy to use. Try this one out and you’ll be blending like a pro in no time.
6 Fun Eye Makeup Tips
Your eyes are the most expressive part of your face. Maximize the value of your eyes by finding experimenting with looks that accentuate your personality. Here are six fun eye makeup tips on how to get the look you want any time of the day:
- Use a damp brush to apply eye shadow on your lids and lower lash lines and then use a dry brush on the creases to smoothen and blend. This will intensify the color pigments of your eyeshadow.
- Brighten up your eyes by applying highlighter above the eyebrow tails and above your cheekbones. When the light hits these areas, it will make your eyes appear wider and brighter.
- To get this year’s dewy makeup look, use creamy eyeshadows in neutral shades. Your lipstick should be in the same color family to seal the look.
- Create the illusion of having bigger eyes by applying black mascara on your upper lashes and brown on your lower lashes.
- Stayed up late? Look wide awake all day by lining your lower waterline with white or nude eyeshadow or pencil eyeliner.
- Fix your broken eye shadow palette by spraying with rubbing alcohol. Move the pieces back together, spray with alcohol and press it lightly with soft tissue. Leave it to dry and it will be as good as new.
You don’t have to be a professional makeup artist or a certified cosmetologist to know how to apply perfect eye makeup. You don’t even have to buy the most expensive cosmetics to get the look you want.
With a little bit of patience, discipline, and practice, you can make your eyes more expressive and captivating.