You’re shopping for your beauty products and you are on the finishing touches. You have your perfect foundation, the best concealers, and the greatest lipsticks around. What could be missing? An often-forgotten beauty product is lip gloss.
The right lip lacquer can make a big difference between your lips looking dry and lackluster or looking supple and luscious. The best lip gloss for you can make your lips pop and feel soft to your touch. From matte lip gloss that stays on through wear and tear to gloss colors that suit your personality, products can be the perfect way to finish the perfect makeup job.
If you’re the type of woman who likes to wear full-coverage on a daily basis and you want a bold color, there are options for you. Perhaps you like natural-looking makeup and want a subtle lip gloss for a bit of shine. The good news is that there is variety for you.
Table of Contents
Our Top 5 Recommendations
When shopping for any products, you want to find lip gloss brands that will provide you with the quality and use you need. To help you in your search for the perfect pick, we have compiled our 5 favorite lip glosses for you to choose from.
1. Maybelline New York Color Sensational High Shine Gloss
While not every “drug-store” option offers stunning pigmentation, the Maybelline Color Sensational is a shiny lip gloss that screams color. As a natural lip gloss made without wax and with honey nectarhoney nectar as an ingredient, it leaves your lips feeling moisturized.
Its creamy texture makes it easy to apply and while it does have a fragrance, its subtly sweet and wearable. If your lips are easily irritated by products, this is an ideal product for you. Its natural ingredients are great for those who suffer from allergies.
If you’re looking for a product to bring out your lips, with or without lipstick, this is a great choice for you. It’s affordable, beautiful, and worth your time.
- It has a bold color to really stand out
- It feels smooth for comfortable wear
- It leaves your lips moisturized
- It isn’t as long-lasting as one would like
- Pigmentation may be too much for those who like a subtle lip color
2. Rimmel Oh My Lip Gloss, Crystal Clear
This color is a great option for anyone who wants to let their lipstick stand out while simply adding a bit of shine. Promising six hours of continuous wear, it’s a perfect option for the woman who wants to look good at any moment. It goes on smoothly and softly while leaving your lips looking luscious.
Its thick texture helps to make your lips stand out with or without lipstick. For those who like a bit of flavor in their gloss, its soft vanilla flavor is just right. While it does have a soft fragrance, it isn’t overbearing. Because of its clear consistency, it’s a great option for you if you want a quick pick-me-up without looking like you’re wearing too much. It’s a non sticky lip gloss that you can depend on for every day wear.
- It provides long-lasting use so you don’t have to reapply constantly
- It makes your lips look soft and natural
- It has a non-sticky texture that makes it more convenient for everyday use
- It has a fragrance that might take getting used to
- It dries out quickly if left open
3. Sephora Cream Lip Stain
From its rich pigmentation to its moisturizing effects, the Sephora Cream Lip stain is one of our favorites and we’re sure it will be yours too. Containing avocado oil, this shiny lip gloss does more than just make your lips good. It helps them to feel soft and smooth as well.
Sephora Cream Lip Stain has been considered “magic” by some due to its cream texture for easy application that dries into a shiny and sensual stain. Because of its rich pigmentation, you can wear it as your daily color or add it on top of your favorite lipstick for a full, plump effect.
Because of its bold color, it’s perfect for events where you want to look your best for photographs. While it isn’t long lasting, its easy application makes it simple to reapply, no matter where you are. For its quality and beautiful results, it’s worth the price.
- It is available in bold colors to really make a statement
- It has great pigmentation for much better results
- It leaves your lips soft and supple for a more natural feel
- It isn’t long-lasting, so be prepared to have to reapply more regularly
- It’s a bit pricey, but the intense colors are worth it
4. Benefit Ultra Plush Lip Gloss
For those who are looking for a bit of color for everyday wear, this Benefit gloss leaves your lips with a soft hue. It provides women with long-lasting wear which is beneficial for long days at work or lengthy events. It’s soft and shiny texture helps to plump up your lips.
With six different gloss colors to choose from, you can find the right lip gloss for you. While it does require reapplication, the non-sticky texture makes it easy to use without leaving your lips feeling heavy. The Ultra Plush gloss leaves just enough color and shine to do what it’s meant to without looking overdone.
If you like a little bit of fragrance and flavor in your lip gloss (do you remember your first gloss?) you’ll love this option. It also comes in a great presentation that you can take with you anywhere. You can wear it alone as a light, soft color or wear on top of your lipstick.
- It has a light soft texture that feels natural
- It leaves your lips looking full and beautiful
- The gloss is available in a variety of colors for more flexibility
- It isn’t as thickly pigmented as other options
- Its fragrance may be too strong for some
5. Estee Lauder Pure Color High Intensity Lip Lacquer
If what you want is a lip gloss that will provide you with rich color and shine, this Estee Lauder lacquer works wonders. In fact, the color and glossy look of this product make other products unnecessary. It does a great job of plumping your lips, all on its own. Because of its rich pigmentation, you only need to use a little at a time.
With a thick texture, you can trust that the color will be obvious. Fortunately, this lip color is non-sticky for comfortable and smooth wear. It goes on creamy which makes for easy application. Another great feature of this Pure Color is that it moisturizes your lips while making them stand out.
Best of all, this is the long lasting lip gloss that you want in your makeup bag. Its shine lasts for many hours and the color stays even longer.
- It has a rich, bold color for a much bigger impact
- It has a creamy texture for easy application when you’re in a rush
- It moisturizes your lips to keep them healthy
- It lasts for hours on end so you don’t have to constantly reapply
- It’s a pricey option but worth every penny
- It has a fragrance that might take getting used to
When Should You Use Lip Gloss
You probably remember when you first started wearing makeup. Lip gloss was probably the first makeup item in your purse as a 12-year-old girl. As the years have passed by, you may have stopped using lip gloss as regularly, thinking it as an item better left to children.
Don’t be mistaken; this lip product can be the perfect lip makeup for you. While lipstick goes on smoothly and beautifully, it may be missing that extra shine that brings attention to your lips. If you’re looking for a way to make your lips to pop, lip gloss may be the answer for you.
When you find the right product, it can provide you with both color and the attractive shine that turns all eyes towards you.
Which One Is For You?
As with any makeup product, you want to determine your needs before purchasing. When it comes to lip gloss, you will want to consider the following factors to ensure that you find the one that suits you perfectly:
- Do you want your lip color to be eye-catching and bold? If you want an option that you can wear with or without lipstick, you will want to look for a highly-pigmented lip gloss.
- Are you looking for something that subtly brings out your lips?Not everyone likes to wear a bold look for running errands or on a daily basis. You may want something that brightens your lips without calling attention. A clear or natural lip gloss can provide your lips with just the right shine without making you look too “dressed-up.”
- Do you need something that will last for hours?Long-lasting wear may not matter to you if you just want something for a quick errand. Yet, if you work long hours and like to maintain a put-together look, you may want to find an option that promises long-lasting use.
- Which color looks best on you?There are several options for color from a variety of brands. While you may at first grab the first color that pops up, take your time. If it’s summertime and you’ve recently acquired a tan, you will want to find a color that combines well with your skin’s current pigmentation. It may require trial and error, but there are colors that will enhance your appearance, and others that won’t do it as much.
- How do you want your lips to look?If you have naturally thin lips, you may be looking for a way to make them look fuller. Fortunately, there are options that offer a plumping result. These types of glosses and lipsticks typically contain collagen, but not always. Just keep in mind that these types of lip products tend to feel heavier.
- Do you have an issue with fragranced makeup?It may be something that you remember from childhood, but most lip glosses are fragranced. If you have an issue with wearing fragranced makeup, you may want to avoid the ones that promise some type of taste or smell.
- Keep those lips protected.It is common for women to forget that their lips need protection just as much as their skin. While shopping for your future lip gloss, keep this in mind. Look for options that have SPF or for a product that offers moisturizing effects. This can go far in leaving your lips looking lusciously healthy.
- How much are you willing to spend? Some lip glosses are pricier than others and while it isn’t always the case, they often promise longer hours of use and richer pigmentation. If these factors are important to you, you may want to designate more money for your lip product budget.
The above glosses range in price and functionality but each one offers the quality that you deserve. Whether you want a clear lip product for subtle wear or you are all about bold colors, you should be able to find something for you in our top 5 favorites.
When shopping for lip gloss, remember to shop for the best lip gloss for you. If you like subtle colors, the Benefit Ultra Plush Gloss is a great option. On the flip side, the Estee Lauder Pure Color High Intensity Lacquer is an excellent choice for women who want it bold and beautiful. If you want to add shine to your lipstick, the Rimmel Oh My Gloss, Crystal Clear will work perfectly for you.
For those on a budget, the Maybelline New York Color Sensational High Shine Gloss is an affordable yet functional product. The Sephora Cream Stain is the soft and supple answer to dry lips. Choose the one that will make you happy!